Vhost Config issues

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 00:12:02 PDT 2010

I used Scottt Haneda's instructions:

I use that file as my catch all for non configured hosts, [1] [2] [3] [4]
> [5] from above, with the following:
> $cat /opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf
>    # -- BEGIN --
>    # Virtual Hosts
>    # Use name-based virtual hosting.  'Catch All'
>    NameVirtualHost *:80
>
>    # Default, this will catch all non configured hosts
>    # because there is no explicit ServerName or ServerAlias defined
>    <VirtualHost *:80>
>        ServerAdmin scott at example.com
>        DocumentRoot "/opt/local/www"
>    </VirtualHost>
>
>    # Pull in all my virtual hosts, which are filename format of
> hostname.example.com.conf
>    # ie: ends in .conf
>    Include conf/extra/vhosts/*.conf
>    # -- END --
>
> For your example:
>    /opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/vhosts/dev.thesamiis.com.conf
>    /opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/vhosts/phpmyadmin.conf
>    /opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/vhosts/dev.lesamisdestan.com.conf
>
> Each of those will allow me to define for just that host, what I want the
> settings to be.
> * Below is a snipped version of my template file, in general it is more
> complex, with log locations, log levels, aliases, default favicon, etc but
> this should work for a dev box.
>
> $cat template.txt
> # START example.com
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>        DocumentRoot "/opt/local/www/clients/last.first/example.com"
>        ServerAdmin user at example.com
>        ServerName example.com
>        ServerAlias www.example.com
>        DirectoryIndex index.html
>
>        # php setttings
>        php_admin_value open_basedir "/opt/local/www/clients/last.first/
> example.com/:/private/var/tmp/:"
>        php_value engine off
>
>        <Directory "/opt/local/www/clients/last.first/example.com">
>                Options FollowSymLinks
>                AllowOverride All
>                Order allow,deny
>                allow from all
>        </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
> # END example.com
>
> When I need to add a new host, I will:
>    `cp -p /opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/vhosts/template.txt
> /opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/vhosts/foo.example.com.conf`
> I then find and replace relevant strings and issue `apachectl graceful`.  I
> also have a template directory that I will copy in with:
>    `cp -Rp /opt/local/www/clients/template
> /opt/local/www/clients/last.first/example.com`.

I created a vhosts folder and used an include in the standard
httpd-vhosts.conf to load those. In wordpress.conf I now have:

 START example.com
<VirtualHost *:80>
       DocumentRoot "/opt/local/www/wordpress/"
       ServerAdmin user at example.com
       ServerName dev-wordpess.com
       ServerAlias www.dev-wordpress.com
       DirectoryIndex index.php

       # php setttings
      # php_admin_value open_basedir "/opt/local/www/clients/last.first/
example.com/:/private/var/tmp/:"
       #php_value engine off

       <Directory "/opt/local/www/wordpress/">
               Options FollowSymLinks
               AllowOverride All
               Order allow,deny
               allow from all
       </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
# END example.com

And in httpd-vhosts.conf I have:
#
# You may use the command line option '-S' to verify your virtual host
# configuration.

#
# Use name-based virtual hosting.
#
NameVirtualHost *:80

#
# VirtualHost example:
# Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
# The first VirtualHost section is used for all requests that do not
# match a ServerName or ServerAlias in any <VirtualHost> block.
#
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster at dummy-host.example.com
    DocumentRoot "/opt/local/www/"
#    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
#    ServerAlias www.dummy-host.example.com
#    ErrorLog "logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log"
#    CustomLog "logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log" common
</VirtualHost>
#
#    ServerAdmin webmaster at dummy-host2.example.com
#    DocumentRoot "/opt/local/apache2/htdocs/apt1"
#    ServerName apt1
#</VirtualHost>

Which somehow leads to /opt/local/www/drupal-1.6.15 folder instead of
/opt/local/www/wordpress. In vhosts I added
127.0.0.1       dev-wordpress.com

As dev-wordpress is crealry wrongly redirected I made a mistake in the
wordpress.conf or hosts file. Anybody any ideas?