latex packages and ports

Russell Jones russell.jones at physics.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 20 05:44:15 PDT 2010

On 19/08/10 18:55, Scott Webster wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Thomas Weiss
> <thomas.weiss at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de>  wrote:
>
>> Use the local tree. That's why it exists
> I'm not saying that that is an inappropriate thing to do, it's just
> that the whole point of using the macports versions of the extra
> packages is to avoid managing your local tree.  If it is too difficult
> or otherwise unfeasible to make it work, then we might as well not
> bother and tell people to use the local tree, perhaps that is what you
> are suggesting... but I think that "port install texlive-latex-extra"
> is easier than setting up your local tree for many users.
>
> Scott

It would be good if macports had functional parity with MacTeX, given
that all the relevant porting problems seem to have been solved. Would
it make sense to work with them? Perhaps it could all get made into
portfiles? Maybe it should even be distributed as a custom macports
installer that detects if macports is already installed and uses that or
adds it as required. Has this ever been raised with them? At present
their FAQ just says to put their install in /usr/local/ first in the
path to get it working with macports.

Russell