;claws-mail' installs, but won't run

dushanm at spinn.net dushanm at spinn.net
Tue Aug 24 16:02:34 PDT 2010

Scott Webster writes:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010, Dushan Mitrovich <dushanm at spinn.net> wrote:
>> That makes sense.  Now what do I do to determine the problem?  I've
>> looked for a logfile, but didn't find one, probably because I didn't
>> know where to look..
>
> Hi Dushan.  Some messages in another thread on the mailing list today
> showed that another user is able to run claws-mail successfully, so it
> might be that you have a problem that is specific to your situation.
> Perhaps you can try uninstalling it and reinstalling it to see if it
> helps:
>
> sudo port selfupdate
> sudo port uninstall claws-mail
> sudo port install claws-mail

I discovered that this probably isn't my problem.  After the selfupdate
I downloaded and installed two more MacPorts - 'darkstat' and 'trafshow'.
They both installed without a complaint, but when I tried to open them they
behaved exactly the same way as did 'claws-mail'.

For 'trafshow', say, using Terminal I CDed to its actual directory,
  /opt/local/var/macports/software/trafshow/5.2.3_1/opt/local/bin
'which' found the executable at '/opt/local/bin/trafsho'.  But issuing
'open -a trafshow' produced the response:
  Unable to find application named 'trafshow'

The same thing happened with 'darkstat' as well as 'claws-mail'.  I don't
know why it's behaving this way, but maybe after I straighten this out
everything will start to work as it should.

 - Dushan