Cannot MAKE anything

Dave Armstrong ukprototype at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 05:13:08 PDT 2010

I am very new to using command line tools to install software, but I
am certain that I am following the steps correctly. My problem is, I
believe, when I try to run MAKE. There are three files that are
consistently throwing an error stating that they are missing:

bits/wordsize.h
bits/posix1_lim.h
bits/posix2_lim.h

This happens whether or not i'm using macports or just following
someone's step by step instructions, such as:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/compiling-git-on-snow-leopard

I do have Xcode installed, with all optional items checked
my $PATH = /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/MAMP/bin/php5.3/bin:/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin::/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/MAMP/bin/php5.3/bin:/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

I guess something else must be installed prior, but what and to where?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

-David A.