How to switch smoothly to kdelibs4?

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 14:44:09 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Marko Käning <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms> wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> I am afraid you are right about this:
>> Nice feature but I think you need to keep an eye on versions of deps. I don't know that "port deactivate kde4 && port activate kde3" would revert kde3 deps that may have been upgraded to an unusable version.
>>
>> Maybe keeping track of what was installed prior to upgrading could be useful.
>>
>> port -q rdeps --no-build kdelibs3 | sed -e 's/^[[:space:]]*//' | sort | xargs port -q installed >> rdeps_kdelibs3.txt.
>
> since as in my other post entitled "Port can't be deactivated, although deps also deactivated" described I seem to run into first signs of this trap.

I'll point out that I'm not a kde expert by any means, but as long as
you keep track of what you are doing, I don't think this is an issue.
You should be able to go back to the starting set of ports without a
problem.  Of course if you upgrade some dependency and then rebuild a
dependent port based on the new version, you can't necessarily revert
the dependency and keep the new dependent, but you could just revert
BOTH of them back to the "old" versions and you'd be back to your
starting point.

Scott