gnome starter

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Wed Dec 1 01:13:09 PST 2010

Hi Ryan,

you are right! forgot the 3. I am using 3.2.5

I give a update here of what I have come up with so far.

	1) Under SL and Leopard must not be set manually
		Which means not even in .profile, .bashrc, xinitrc, or startup scripts

	2) Do not start X from the finder or dock

	3) the Macports WIKI for gnome does not work
		none of the suggestions

		a) using the .xinitrc.d scripts
			i) causes X to continually start and quit
				this is because it does not find metacity or gnome
			ii) I can get X to come up by using full paths for metacity & gnome
                            but according to system.log metacity.destop and other things ARE NOT FOUND

			iii) Setting variables in startup scripts are not passed to a xterm
				I can not understand this, though when they are set in the terminal they are passed on.

		b) starting gnome-session from the terminal exists with:
				Failed to start message bus: launch_msg("CheckIn") IPC failure: Operation not permitted

				EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon

There seem to be problems the with environment the .xinitrc.d scripts run in!
I tried echoing the the variables with echo XDG_DATA_DIRS > test.out
from within the startup script, but get a permissions denied message in system.log.

Any idea how I can produce output from within a startup script? Either to a file or system.log ?

I assume there must be some extra setup to be done elsewhere! I noticed on other port on the list that
kile has some files on the system that have to be change in order for it to work.

Could some here on the list please say whether they have gnome running and if so what they have done to get it running.

regards
	Keith.