py26-numpy is much slower than NumPy compiled for MacPython

Adam Mercer ram at macports.org
Tue Dec 7 16:24:45 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 17:31, Frank Schima <macsforever2000 at macports.org> wrote:

> Wow, interesting result. I just ran the benchmark on my Mac Pro 2008 and got 44 s with py26-numpy. I rebuilt it just to take a look. I noticed it is using -O3 in the configure flags which is good, but it was using gcc-4.2 to build. I have the gcc44 variant selected and that is the default, so it's possible that is the problem but maybe I'm just misunderstanding the gcc4x variants.

Theres an open ticket [1] that is currently held up due to this
variant confusion. The gcc43 variant specifies the use of gcc-mp-4.3
for the c-compiler whereas the other variants use the system default
c-compiler. It seems that the person who made this change is MIA as
emails to his address bounce. I'm very busy at the moment but hope to
spend some time on this next week

Cheers

Adam

[1] <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/27476>