py26-numpy is much slower than NumPy compiled for MacPython

Adam Mercer ram at macports.org
Tue Dec 7 21:20:05 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 23:02, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net> wrote:

> My installation uses the default, gcc 4.4, and my numbers are for a MacBook Pro running at 2.53 GHz.
>
> Does gcc-4.2 mean you used the gcc from Apple's Xcode package?

Even though you are using the gcc44 variant only the fortran compiler
from gcc44 is being used, the Xcode gcc-4.2 compiler is being used for
non-fortran code. I'm not going to have time to look at this until
next week but if you have the time you could try modifying the gcc44
variant so that it is similar to the gcc43 in the way it sets the
compilers, and see if that improves the benchmark any.

Cheers

Adam