Problems Running Programs

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 10 14:14:28 PST 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 14:51, Gareth Rennick wrote:

> I downloaded ircii-classic via Macports and can't get it to run.
>
> I type in:  load ircii-classic and I get the following:
>
> Error: Target org.macports.load returned: Launchd plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.ircii-classic.plist was not found
> Log for ircii-classic is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_irc_ircii-classic/main.log
> Error:
> Status 1 encountered during processing.
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
>
> When I double click on the logfile it opens up via Console and it reads like this:
>
> version:1
> :debug:main Executing org.macports.main (ircii-classic)
> :debug:load load phase started at Fri Dec 10 17:49:44 GMT 2010
> :debug:load Executing org.macports.load (ircii-classic)
> :error:load Target org.macports.load returned: Launchd plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.ircii-classic.plist was not found
> :debug:load Backtrace: Launchd plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.ircii-classic.plist was not found
>     while executing
> "$procedure $targetname"
> :info:load Warning: the following items did not execute (for ircii-classic): org.macports.load
> :notice:load Log for ircii-classic is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_irc_ircii-classic/main.log
>

> This happens for any program that I try to load via Macports.

Most software installed by MacPorts does not have (or need) a launchd plist, and they are not things you "load". You just run them. Use "port contents ircii-classic" to see what programs it installed. Command-line programs typically get installed in /opt/local/bin; GUI programs typically get installed in /Applications/MacPorts. To run a command-line program, type its name in the terminal. To run a GUI program, double-click its icon in the Finder.