qt3-mac fails to build

Lenore Horner LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 12 12:02:06 PST 2010

I'm trying to install k3dsurf which depends on qt3-mac on a MacBook running 10.6.5 with Xcode 3.2.2.  The install failed on qt3-mac.  I think the point of failure is this (from the log):

/opt/local/lib/libqt-mt.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

I did not drag MacPorts from another system or upgrade the OS.  I don't know why the wrong architecture would exist.  I have qt3 installed.  Is this a conflict between qt3 and qt3-mac?