FATAL ERROR: Could not find mysqld & Missing Port 3306

David Gentry localbusinesswebsites at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 21 08:08:13 PST 2010

FATAL ERROR: Could not find mysqld

I removed a version of mysql from my iMac, and I installed the latest community version.  As a recommended post-installation task, I ran mysql_install_db.

Here is the command and the response:

command: "/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_install_db ;"

response: "exit;

FATAL ERROR: Could not find mysqld

The following directories were searched:

    /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/libexec
    /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/sbin
    /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/bin

If you compiled from source, you need to run 'make install' to
copy the software into the correct location ready for operation.

If you are using a binary release, you must either be at the top
level of the extracted archive, or pass the --basedir option
pointing to that location.

logout"

Would someone please give me more detail on the specific "make install" command that I should use?

Missing port 3306

After installing the latest MacPorts' mysql and mysql.server, I used my iMac's Network Utility to do a port scan on 127.0.0.1, and 3306 was not listed as an open port.  I received the same result to a port scan on localhost.

If I fix the "fatal error" above, will 3306 become an open port or is there something else that I need to do?