ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) -- I never set a password

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Fri Dec 31 00:33:42 PST 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Jason Nerida <neridaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to set up mysql on osx 10.6.5 for two days now using macports. I finally got past the mysql_install_db error, now I can't get past this one:
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
>
> Ha! I never even set a password for mysql.

It's not a good reason to not set anymore a password in future. The
output is from a misconfiguration rather than a macports issue, did
you follow the port setup instructions that were printed after
installing the (supposed) mysql-server port?

>  I've installed and used mysql before with no problems, should I switch back to postgresql?

This sentence would make more sense if postgresql would have been used
both time, anyway it's up to you to choose the dbms you're more
confident with.

--
Andrea