What is a dependent?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 1 01:20:30 PST 2010

On Feb 1, 2010, at 03:15, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2010, at 21:49, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
>
>> But then I come up with oddities like the following:
>>
>> ; port dependents p5-pathtools
>> p5-pathtools has no dependents!
>>
>> ; port deps intltool
>> Full Name: intltool @0.40.6
>> Build Dependencies:   gnome-common
>> Library Dependencies: expat, perl5, p5-xml-parser, p5-getopt-long, p5-pathtools,
>>                     p5-scalar-list-utils
>>
>> So intltool depends on p5-pathtools, but it is not among the
>> dependents of p5-pathtools.
>>
>> Is my understanding of "dependent" wrong, or is there a bug lurking
>> here?
>
> I don't know. Possibly.

I meant: your understanding of "dependent" is correct, but possibly there is a bug.

On my system:

$ port dependents p5-pathtools
intltool depends on p5-pathtools

I see that Rainer added the p5-pathtools dependency to intltool in r56017 (2009-08-23) and did not increase the port's revision at that time (that's the bug), and the port's revision and version have not increased since then. Therefore, if you installed intltool before 2009-08-23, it will not show p5-pathtools as a dependent. If you reinstall intltool today (sudo port -n upgrade --force intltool), then it will. intltool's revision should probably be increased.