Apache2 php error logging

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 05:10:42 PST 2010

I adjusted my php.ini in opt/local/etc/php5/php.ini to log php errors to
/var/log/php-scripts.log :

$php -i | grep error_log
error_log => /var/log/php-scripts.log => /var/log/php-scripts.log
PHP Warning:  Unknown: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone
settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the
date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods
and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the
timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST'
instead in Unknown on line 0

$ php -i | grep log_errors
log_errors => On => On
log_errors_max_len => 1024 => 1024

And in php.ini I have error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_STRICT

$ pwd
/var/log
$ ls -l | grep php
-rw-r--r--    1 root    wheel        0 Nov  1 12:35 php-scripts.log

In a folder where I try to run a copy of Joomla! I keep on getting white
screens on the index.php so I assume I get PHP errors. Apache is running and
so is MYSQL (other Wordpress site is running locally)... The php-scripts.log
is not populated with errors at all though. Is it ht e php-scripts/.log file
permissions perhaps?