Apache2 php error logging

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sat Feb 6 13:36:09 PST 2010

On Feb 6, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com>
> wrote:
> You could probably nuke the script and redstart Apache, it should
> recreate itself with the correct permission.
>
> At least, that's exactly how my error and access logs behave. When I
> roll them I essentilly move them, sleep apache, restart apache
> gracefully, and gzip them. I've never had a log not recrete on lack
> of existance. Then again, I've always sent php errors to the error
> log in Apache since the errors often time are related, or helpful to
> see http data errors alongside.
>
> I guess I could do this as well. On some other shared hosts I work
> with they do the same. Do I just adjust the path in php.ini and
> write PHP errors to the same error.log as Apache writes its errors to?

You know, I'm not sure. I always just leave the php.ini at default in
that setting and that is where it logs.

Maybe load phpInfo(); and see if you can still see the default value.

I believe your php logging levels, like E_* play a role here as to
what gets logged to screen/browser/stdout as well. More good info here:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.error-reporting.php

And also related to some of your other questions.
http://php.net/manual/en/errorfunc.configuration.php

If you move aside you php.ini and put a copy of php.ini(development),
then look at your phpIfo(); output, it will tell you.

I suspect the log path is just commented ou in the ini default filet.

You could skip the loading of the php.ini and if your cool with diff
or grep, just compare the ini sample files MacPorts installed.

php.ini for me, sends logging to Apache's error_log. It always has.

When I get back to my computer and off my phone I will confirm.

--
Scott
(Sent from a mobile device)