How to make KDE3 run? How make .kde directory accessible?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Feb 7 10:00:32 PST 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 07:15, Marko Käning wrote:

> I installed KDE via MacPorts, which seems to have succeeded, but now I don't know HOW TO actually RUN it and other applications in that environment (like kmymoney - which compiled and installed successfully already before I got KDE installed).
>
> Also MacPorts installed a .kde directory in my users directory, but with ownership of the root-user! That means, I cannot access it at all. Funnily enough my administrator user (who is NOT root, but has full admin permissions) CAN NOT change the ownership of said .kde diretory to the unprivileged user... What can be done about this?

I don't know what the correct solution to this problem is, having not tried to use KDE before, but if you want to change the ownership of the directory, have you tried to do so using sudo in the terminal? For example:

sudo chown -R $(id -u):$(id -g) ~/.kde

I'm surprised a port would install something in your home directory. That's not really proper.