automoc install failed on OSX 10.4 intel

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Feb 7 17:15:23 PST 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On the contrary, I've found Windows users are often reluctant to
> upgrade their operating systems, while Mac users upgrade rather
> quickly. New releases of Mac OS X are typically faster than older
> ones, aside from having new features, so after the initial period of
> adjustment, it should be quite advantageous to upgrade. Of course,
> before upgrading the OS, first check that all the non-MacPorts third-
> party software you use is compatible with Snow Leopard, and also
> check the MacPorts issue tracker for tickets on any of the ports you
> use to see if there are any Snow Leopard-related problems.

Everything you said is indeed spot on with my findings as well.
Windows users typically thinking I'm crazy for all the full system
updates I do.

I think OS X has seen what, 3 or more major OS updates while XP is the
dominant OS sitting at somewhere around 10 years or older? I get
excited to upgrade, to see bugs nukes, to get "the snap" of OS 9 back.
I rarely dread it. Machines going from 10.3 to 10.6 (2 major versions
or more) are trouble, as I know I will find an old copy of WordPerfect
or similar running in Classic mode the client still uses.

Things at the application level tend to break more on OS X, but an
architecture change every handful of years will to do that to you :)

What I find compelling, is the rapidity in which application
developers repair their apps, usually to great time and expense, often
times for no update fees. Command line apps, and most MacPorts type
apps are more resiliant to this, perhaps because they lack a GUI and
are recompiled by the user.

I am always amazed that in most cases, a major OS version bump brings
me *more* performance, not more harware requirements. And noticeable
performance, not just spec points on a marketing/bullet list. 10.5 on
the old school iMac's (just a few supported, but noteworthy
nonetheless), that just amazes me.

Snow Leopard was the biggest performance bump I've felt aside from the
10.0 era, which I consider an Alpha, and stuck around on OS 9 anyway.
I even feel relatively comfortable "upgrade installing" Snow Leopard,
whereas I usually do a clean install.

Snow Leopard installs so darn fast too; I think I am in and out, once
I uncheck additional fonts and printers, in about the time it takes me
to download and install Developer Tools. Unless I'm blind, I don't see
dev tools on Snow's installer, which would be nice, though keeping the
image on a SAN has been my new way to deal with most large
installers.  Boot times, wow, Snow really worked on that, it may be
faster than coming out of a deep hibernate type sleep mode.

--
Scott
(Sent from a mobile device)