Apache2 php error logging

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Feb 7 17:47:55 PST 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2010, at 07:52, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> On Mac I personally use Interarchy. I feel it curreny is the best
>> of the offerings. A quick breakdown:
>
> I used to use Interarchy years ago, and Anarchie before it. I didn't
> like all the bloat it grew over the years, nor the price tag.

Me too. Anarchie user, and what was it...skins or themes, I made some
goofy ones.

I too feel it is too expensive but on the merit of you should not
release an app at that cost and have only one dot update to address
bugs.

It did change developers a while back, perhaps that brought with it a
new line of thought and some ramp up time to learn the code, or rip it
apart.  I believe there was some family tragedy as well, so I take
that into consideration.

Bloat I would say is gone. With removal of the traffic watcher, what
bloat are you in disapproval of?  CyberDuck looks pretty heavy to me
in their website screenshots.

I'm going to give CyberDuck a weeks try starting next project. I hope
it works out. I'd love to move to an open FTP. I may also try to
migrate to MacFuse, but it refuses to talk to some ftpd's, just
showing me zero byte files in the "ls".

I do look at the price based on my usage. It paid for itself in a
short days work for how often I use it.

>> Next paid contender would be Panic's Transmit. Transmit is the FTP
>> app with all the shine and polish as usual.
>
> I used Transmit too, but got upset when, right after I bought a
> license, I reported a bug, which got fixed, but only in the next
> paid version. Have I mentioned I'm not a fan of software you have to
> pay for?

I got burned by Panic too. Their mp3 player, which I spent
considerable time reporting bugs against, to eventually buy, to
eventually have the rug pulled out from under me as it was discontinued.

Then I did not learn my lesson with Unison, bought it, to crash
stopping bugs, and support going ignored.

I think Panic focuses on one app at a time, and you hope your support
needs are parallel with whatever app they are working on.

It seems Coda steals from their other apps dev time. Yet here I am,
with some pretty good dialog with them, albeit general, that the next
TBA Transmit will be a great app.

I'll give it one more go. But I feel ya, most definitely. The OSS apps
just lack polish in my opinion, and I simply do not know that type of
development to give back and improve. CyberDuck looks as close to
commercial quality software I've seen though.

>> On the free side is Cyberduck. In my opinion, pretty darn close to
>> Transmit.  Looking over the website, I would say the app progressed
>> quickly and looks pretty good.
>
> CyberDuck is what I've used for awhile now. I wouldn't call it
> fantastic, but it's been good enough that I haven't wanted to look
> for an alternative.

Does it stay out of your way? I want transparent FTP. I don't need to
know I'm in an FTP app. I want to be able to slim it down to the main
window and a transfer monitor.

I do a lot of "edit with (insert text editor)". This means I don't
want to see much of the app. Make a sound when I remote save, and I
will be happy.

Can you configure bookmarks to, for example:

ftp.example.com: no passive, tls commands and data, use list -a

ftp.other.example.com: use passive, no tls, custom port range

ftp.all.default.hosts.example.com: a sane set of defaults.

So host based configs for settings of each remote ftpd and their
oddities.

>> Oh. There is also Fetch, probably the first OS 9 FTP client on the
>> scene. I'm pretty sure the developer won the million bucks on Who
>> Wants To Be A Millionaire. I don't know the state of Fetch, though
>> I do know had I won a million I may be inclined to take a long
>> break from my app as well. :)
>
> Ah, Fetch. The longest-running FTP client I know. It predates OS 9
> by quite a bit. Heck, it predates System 7 by two years. Not free,
> by the way.

Isn't there a free version, as in cost? I seem to recall the 8-bit
running dog icon version around system 8 era, was free of charge,
everyone used it, I never recall paying for much Internet based
software in OS 8 days.

Wasn't Claris Emailer free of charge as well?  I did buy webstar,
EIMS, quickDNS, and Rumpus. Running a server on OS 8 was not cheap. I
wasn't ready for the command line back then :). I learned protocol
principles, which was great, but came at steep cost.

--
Scott
(Sent from a mobile device)