How to remove inactive ports?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Feb 7 18:49:27 PST 2010

On 2010-02-07 19:18 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2010, at 12:10, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> There's also the example given in the man page:
>>
>> port -u uninstall
>
> I've suggested once before that we remove the "-u" option for
> uninstall, since it is so disastrously dissimilar to the "-u" option
> for upgrade, and identical to "sudo port uninstall inactive", which
> we should recommend users use instead since it's much clearer what
> will happen. What do you think?

I mainly agree. But I would also propose to move -u to the local flags
and make it upgrade specific only with a new name. It would no longer be
a global flag as it is only used by one action.

As reminder, local options are those listed after the name of the action
with two dashes, global options are listed between 'port' and the name
of the action being a single character starting with a single dash.

port [global options] <action> [local options] <portspec> ...

Rainer