No sound/audio in KDE4 (SOLVED)

Daniel Simon Daniel.Simon at itn.liu.se
Tue Feb 9 11:35:28 PST 2010

SOLVED!

The standard install of KDE4 through MacPorts uses Qt's phonon system, which in turn uses the native QuickTime as a backend.  As it states at http://mac.kde.org/?id=download , if QuickTime can't play it, phonon can't play it.

The solution is to install the Xiph (ogg) QuickTime component (http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/) to allow QuickTime to play ogg files.  Installing Perian (http://perian.org/) wouldn't hurt, either.

There should be a note during the port install process saying that this step is necessary since much of KDE's audio is in ogg format.

Happy KDE-ing!

/Daniel