Error: Problem while installing p5-locale-gettext

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 10 13:46:45 PST 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 04:21, alligator424 wrote:

>> i have problems with macport refusing to "port upgrade outdated"
>> and it seems that this is a known issue, though "port -d selfupdate" doesn't
>> correct the thing.

How did you decide this is a known issue? Is there a ticket number you were looking at, or an old mailing list post? Could you give us the URL?

>> the error is about p5-locale-gettext which fails to install.
>>
>> what list should I address before UNINSTALLING/REINSTALLING macport?

The macports-users list is the correct place to ask any questions about installing, using, and uninstalling MacPorts.

>> when i do "port upgrade outdated":
>>
>> Command output: checking for gettext... no
>> checking for gettext in -I/opt/local/include -arch x86_64 -L/opt/local/lib
>> -lintl...gettext function not found. Please install libintl at Makefile.PL line
>> 18.
>> no

Ok, you're building for x86_64. This suggests to me that you're probably on Snow Leopard. Have you recently upgraded to Snow Leopard from Leopard, and if so, did you uninstall and reinstall all ports at that time, as shown on the Migration page? If not, do that now.

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration