Port Log file locations [was Re: Replacing Mac OS Apache with macports Apache]

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Feb 14 15:11:27 PST 2010

Good point. I've aliased my Apache logs to a command, "wwwl" which
cd's me to their current location of /opt/local/apache2/logs. In
retrospect, that seems an unusual location.

On OS X it is /var/log/apache2 and most ports follow that convention
but with {Prefix} in front of the path.

I know there is a long standing Trac issue to work on a layout change
to Apache2. Would perhaps a first step be possible for the maintainer
to move the logs now?

I like knowing my FTP, rbldnsd, and other logs are all in the same
place.

I'm not running BIND/named with MacPorts, but use Apples version. They
do not enable logging so I enabled it to log to /var/named/logs. I
think I will switch to the MacPorts version today.

When dealing with my own ports, PureFTPd for example, logging is off
by default, the user must configure their software to enable logging.

However, I took liberty to make {Prefix}/var/log/PureFTPd for the
user. Is this good, bad, or neither?

How is it suggested to deal with MySql, an application that has
traditionally logged to it's own directory?

Right now with my MySql 5 server install I have hostname.err in /opt/
local/var/db/mysql/localhost.err

I have an empty mysql5 dir in /opt/local/var/log/mysql
* should that be mysql5?

If i were to enable slow query logging, or any other non standard
logging calls, I would point them to /opt/local/var/log/mysql.

However, it would make no sense to me to move the ib_logfile* logs to /
opt/local/var/log/mysql

MySql seems a bit of a strange case, and I'm certain there are other
similar cases. I've never paid attention on Linux to how it is done.
Does MySql have a guideline?

Thanks for any comments.
--
Scott