Port Log file locations [was Re: Replacing Mac OS Apache with macports Apache]

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Sun Feb 14 19:53:22 PST 2010

On Feb 14, 2010, at 7:20 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> As usual, thanks for your other answers...
>
> On Feb 14, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Feb 14, 2010, at 17:11, Scott Haneda wrote:
>>
>>> Right now with my MySql 5 server install I have hostname.err in /
>>> opt/local/var/db/mysql/localhost.err
>>>
>>> I have an empty mysql5 dir in /opt/local/var/log/mysql
>>> * should that be mysql5?
>>
>> The mysql5-server port creates the directory /opt/local/var/log/
>> mysql5 for you. It does not do anything with a directory /opt/local/
>> var/log/mysql.
>
> Right you are, that was a mistake on my part.  I was looking in the
> wrong spot.
>
>>> MySql seems a bit of a strange case, and I'm certain there are
>>> other similar cases. I've never paid attention on Linux to how it
>>> is done. Does MySql have a guideline?
>>
>> I don't know. I don't think it matters where you put things on your
>> server, as long as you know where they are.
>
> I tend to agree, but I would like to follow some form of standard
> conventions when working on/making Portfiles. I may know about /opt/
> local/man but I probably should not put my Apache error_log there :)

Many times, especially with databases, the locations of things must
change as data on disk grows. Mailboxes is another one. Maybe even
partitioning those systems.
I'm moving my mysql databases to a external esata raid as soon as
Chicago's ice melts. May package is stranded.

One thing I noticed is my logs had really blown up. Many 10's of gb
log files. Makes me think I'd like all of /opt on something other then
my system/swap drive. I miss my xRaid.

// Brad