Regexp problems building git, graphviz on Snow Leopard

David Schroeder david at davidschroeder.net
Mon Feb 15 07:23:13 PST 2010

I have a fairly new Snow Leopard computer, running the most recent updates
and with a 64-bit processor.

When trying to install graphviz, and the new git packages, I get linker
errors about undefined symbols such as _regcompA, _regerrorA, and _regexecA.
 These correspond to the regex.h functions which *should* be implemented in
the standard C headers.  The errors are at the end of this message.

I've seen several pastebins containing outputs from MacPorts with these
sorts of errors, but I've not been able to find a solution.  I haven't done
anything stupid (to the best of my knowledge) to mess up this computer, so
I'd appreciate any help.

Errors:

Undefined symbols:
  "_regfreeA", referenced from:
      _git_config_set_multivar in libgit.a(config.o)
      _git_config_set_multivar in libgit.a(config.o)
      _free_grep_patterns in libgit.a(grep.o)
      _compile_grep_patterns in libgit.a(grep.o)
      _diffcore_pickaxe in libgit.a(diffcore-pickaxe.o)
      _diffcore_pickaxe in libgit.a(diffcore-pickaxe.o)
      _xdiff_clear_find_func in libgit.a(xdiff-interface.o)
  "_regexecA", referenced from:
      _matches in libgit.a(config.o)
      _match_one_pattern in libgit.a(grep.o)
      _grep_buffer_1 in libgit.a(grep.o)
      _diff_words_fill in libgit.a(diff.o)
      _contains in libgit.a(diffcore-pickaxe.o)
      _ff_regexp in libgit.a(xdiff-interface.o)
  "_regerrorA", referenced from:
      _compile_grep_patterns in libgit.a(grep.o)
      _diffcore_pickaxe in libgit.a(diffcore-pickaxe.o)
  "_regcompA", referenced from:
      _git_config_set_multivar in libgit.a(config.o)
      _compile_grep_patterns in libgit.a(grep.o)
      _builtin_diff in libgit.a(diff.o)
      _diffcore_pickaxe in libgit.a(diffcore-pickaxe.o)
      _xdiff_set_find_func in libgit.a(xdiff-interface.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found