macports in 32 bit on snow leopard ?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 17 03:43:32 PST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 05:39, Johannes Behr wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2010, at 12:17, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Feb 17, 2010, at 04:48, Johannes Behr wrote:
>>
>>> is there a 32 bit version of macports for snow leopard
>>
>> If you're on a 32-bit Mac, MacPorts will automatically build 32-bit, even on Snow Leopard.
>
> Well, i do I know if I'm on a 32-bit or 64-bit mac ?
> I just install snow leopard. That's it.

If you have an Intel Core processor, which was in the very first line of Intel Macs in 2006, you have a 32-bit Mac. If you have an Intel Core 2 or any other Intel processor, you have a 64-bit Mac.

>> If you're on a 64-bit Mac but would like to build 32-bit, set build_arch to i386 in macports.conf before installing any ports.
>
> So I have to uninstall single packages and reinstall them (after switching build_arch to i386)
> or do I have to reinstall all packages.

If that's the way you want to go, I would recommend you uninstall all ports. Then change build_arch and reinstall the ports you need. However:

> What is the base way?
>
> I just need some 32-bit libs (e.g. libjasper) and some others for a own project

Perhaps you would be happier with universal ports? built for both 32-bit and 64-bit? In that case, you can rebuild all ports universal by running this command:

sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants active +universal