"sudo port upgrade outdated" fills HDD

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Feb 17 09:54:58 PST 2010

>>>>> "Jochen" == Jochen Küpper <kuepper.jochen at googlemail.com> writes:

Jochen> On 17.02.2010, at 18:34, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>> I've now taken to watching the swap size on my laptop (using iStatMenus), and
>> if it ever gets above 2GB total, I just reboot, because at that point,
>> everything is gonna be gummy, and that seems to be the only way to clear it.

Jochen> Hmm, I cannot confirm that. On my MacBook (Core Duo, no “2”!) I just
Jochen> now have 2,75 GB swap (and Free is only 116 MB), according to iStat
Jochen> Menu, uptime is 18:47 up 24 days, 4:26, 3 users, load averages: 0,43
Jochen> 0,44 0,39 and performance is perfect… really!

Well, I have a half dozen things open all the time (Safari, Terminal,
OmniFocus, iCal, and sometimes Firefox, etc), and the penalty isn't
when staying within a single app, but switching to another app,
as that app's pages are probably now on disk.

I wish I could install more RAM in my 2007 MBP, but I'm already maxxed at 3GB,
and I can't afford a new laptop just yet.