"sudo port upgrade outdated" fills HDD

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Wed Feb 17 11:09:05 PST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Bradley> Isn't there a 4GB kit for you MBP?
>
> Bradley> http://www.18004memory.com/apple-macbook-pro.asp
>
> Might be a third-party kit, but as far as I recall, Apple didn't
> promise
> suitability for more than 3GB in this model, and I don't want to run
> the risk
> of overtaxing anything in my one and only work machine.

Memory guidelines from Apple at the time of purchase seem to have more
to do with the capacity of memory modules at the time of system build.
I can not recall Apple ever claiming a memory capacity in a system
spec greater then stuffing the largest memory sticks available at the
time or press into all available slots, other then when they switched
to 64bit and advertised theoretical limits.

I've found it very safe and rewarding to go with the guidance of
memory suppliers especially suppliers that sell a lot of memory for
Mac systems.

Check out:

http://www.macsales.com

Call them on the phone and ask them if your system is known to be
stable with the 4GB kit.

http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

Many of these memory suppliers will certify that the memory is
compatible.

As far as overtaxing, running out of memory and swapping to disk could
be considered one of the more "taxing" events if it is occurring
regularly.

// Brad