Rules of the game for checksums in portfiles

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Feb 21 21:00:19 PST 2010

On Feb 21, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Marko Käning wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in documentation for Portfiles there are 3 different checksums shown...
>
> I am wondering whether all three are acutally necessary or whether md5 is sufficient for setting up acceptable Portfiles.

I like to put all three, as MacPorts prints all three for me, so it is just a copy and paste.  There may be an easier way, but I just try to install with the -d flag a port that I am working on, for which I know will checksum error, and the three correct ones are then suggested to me.  I copy and paste them from there.

This is about levels of security.  You ca certainly get by with just md5, as any ports I have seen have just that.  For example: http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/mail/assp/Portfile