syntax for uninstalling. Can I use a regex?

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Sun Feb 28 06:50:45 PST 2010

On Feb 28, 2010, at 09:42 , David Epstein wrote:
> I tried port search installed tex, but I think it treated both
> "installed"
> and "tex" as search strings.

Yes; that's how "port search" works.  "port installed texlive" does
what you want.

May I suggest reading "man port" in a terminal window?

> 2. How do I uninstall a whole lot of ports simultaneously? And does
> uninstall include removing all the associated bits and pieces, like
> the dist
> files?

You can use glob expressions (e.g. "texlive*"; quote it so the shell
doesn't eat it) or pseudo-portnames (you probably don't want to "port
uninstall installed" unless you're doing a full cleanout because of an
OS upgrade, but it's possible).

This won't touch distfiles; for that, you want "port clean" with the
"--all" flag.  Again, check the manual; this mailing list is not a
very good replacement for it.

> When I try "sudo port uninstall texlive", the system replies
> Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: texlive not registered
> as
> installed.
> Nevertheless there are huge numbers of files in /opt/local with
> "texlive" as
> part of the path name.

You must specify the version.  "port installed texlive" will show you
what versions are installed.  (Note that "installed" and "active" are
two different things; non-active versions are stored in tarballs so
you can easily swap active versions with "port activate".)

> What is the procedure for finding out the names involving "texlive"
> which
> ARE registered as installed?

By package:  port installed "texlive*"
By file:  port contents "texlive*"