cyrus-sasl2: error building +universal

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 6 05:59:40 PST 2010

On Jan 6, 2010, at 05:43, Joost Kremers wrote:

> I'm running Snow Leopard and want to install GHC. Since the ghc port is not
> available for 10.6 yet, I'm trying to install GHC as described here:
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Mac_OS_X
>
> This page links to another:
>
> http://passingcuriosity.com/2009/haskell-on-snow-leopard/
>
> which suggests (re)installing all ports with +universal. So I did:
>
> sudo port selfupdate
> sudo port sync
> sudo port upgrade --force installed

I assume then that you put +universal into your variants.conf?

The command you probably wanted was

sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants installed +universal

(you can omit "+universal" if it's already in your variants.conf)

This will only rebuild the ports that aren't universal and that can be built universal.

Using --force will instead rebuild all ports, even those that are already universal, and also those that cannot be built universal, both of which will just waste time.

> warning: in /opt/local/lib/libsasl2.dylib, file is not of required architecture
> Undefined symbols:
>  "_sasl_global_utils", referenced from:
>      _sasl_global_utils$non_lazy_ptr in dbconverter-2.o
>  "_sasl_dispose", referenced from:
>      _main in dbconverter-2.o
>  "_sasl_done", referenced from:
>      _main in dbconverter-2.o
>  "_sasl_server_init", referenced from:
>      _main in dbconverter-2.o
>  "_sasl_server_new", referenced from:
>      _main in dbconverter-2.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found

This is probably related to, and would be fixed by resolving, the following ticket (so I don't think we need a new one):

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17328

You probably need to deactivate the old non-universal cyrus-sasl2 before the new universal one can be built.

sudo port deactivate cyrus-sasl2
sudo port clean cyrus-sasl2
sudo port install cyrus-sasl2 +universal