Unable to install Berkeley DB v6: conflicting install ... how??

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 14 15:12:51 PST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 15:46, Frederick C. Lee wrote:

> I followed your suggestion and moved: /bin, /lib & /include directories from the /usr/local to the desktop.
> {I couldn't find which file was causing the problem so I moved their directories.}
>
> Then I re-installed the db46 (using force, verbose & clean):
>
> [/Users/Ric]sudo port
> MacPorts 1.8.1
> Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
> [Users/Ric] > install -f -v -c db46
> --->  Computing dependencies for db46
> --->  Extracting db46
> --->  Applying patches to db46
> --->  Configuring db46
> --->  Building db46
> --->  Staging db46 into destroot
> --->  Installing db46 @4.6.21_6
> --->  Activating db46 @4.6.21_6
> --->  Cleaning db46
>
> ... as you see, it went well.
>
> New /bin, /iib & /include directories weren't recreated;

Correct; MacPorts installs into /opt/local, not /usr/local.

> so I'll return the originals intact.
> I hope there won't be further conflicts.

Just be aware that it is not supported to have anything in /usr/local while installing anything with MacPorts because things in /usr/local can interfere. Some ports like db46 check for this but most don't and will just fail in strange ways. I recommend you get rid of what's in /usr/local, if possible, and install any software you need using MacPorts instead.