MySQL error installing Drupal

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Jan 14 16:56:08 PST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 6:32 AM, Jasper Frumau wrote:

> Well I am happy :-) Apache and PHP installed and Drupal running. I also
> needed to add php5-gd and php5-mbstring and replace one deprecated ereg
> function, but all good. Only mod_rewrite is not running according to Drupal:
> our system configuration does not currently support this feature. The handbook
> page on Clean URLs <http://drupal.org/node/15365> has additional
> troubleshooting information.
>
> Even though:
>
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:conf jasper$ httpd -M | grep rewrite
> Syntax OK
> rewrite_module (shared)
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:conf jasper$

I get those same results, and my mod_rewrite has been working fine.  Of course, it just being there is not enough.  You will need to enter into your httpd.conf file and allow such things to happen, or you may need to delegate them to be allowed to be controlled via .htaccess or via your virtual host and directory block settings in Apache.

Out of the box, not many sites are going to perform mod_rewrite functions, you have to make an effort to enable it for that site/host.

By default, Apache sets a relatively restrictive set of rules for *all* hosts, which you then need to open up for each one on an as needed basis.