versions of a port

Thomas De Contes d.l.tDeContes at free.fr
Tue Jan 19 07:27:40 PST 2010

Le 19 janv. 10 à 03:59, Joshua Root a écrit :

>>> well, maybe i could get the sources with a computer which has
>>> svn, and then make a rsync server with them
>>
>> You can save yourself the trouble of setting up an rsync server.
>> If all you want is to get the last ports tree that works with an
>> OS version, you're only going to be checking it out once, so you
>> can just copy that over to your older machine and set your
>> sources.conf to point to that directory.
>
> Why even check it out with svn? Just use the appropriate archive
> tarball.

thank you for the link, it should be fine :-)
sorry, i didn't look at it seriously enough, like ryan

(why are there both .gz and .bz2 ?
what's the difference between MacPorts-1.8.0-archive.tar and
MacPorts-1.8.0.tar ?)

>>> so, the ports won't stay compatible with 10.4 ? i'll have to get
>>> and keep them too ?
>>
>> Ports are already beginning to become incompatible with 10.4. Port
>> maintainers and upstream software developers are testing on Snow
>> Leopard now, and sometimes still on Leopard, but on Tiger less
>> often. 10.4-specific bugs and incompatibilities are thus more
>> likely to slip in. Whether they can or do get fixed depends on
>> maintainer or developer willingness.
>>
>> If a future version of MacPorts base becomes incompatible with
>> 10.4, yes, you should then stick with the last set of ports made
>> at that time. Not only will later portfiles assume you are running
>> a supported OS version, later portfiles will also likely use
>> features only available in that later version of MacPorts, so you
>> would otherwise start encountering errors about unknown commands.
>>

>> I personally am in favor of retaining 10.4 support as long as
>> possible, and at this point we have no concrete plans to stop 10.4
>> support in base. But there may come a day when a feature is added
>> to base that doesn't work on 10.4 -- like the privilege escalation
>> code that was added last year which made base incompatible with
>> 10.3. Or we may follow our existing habits and make 10.4
>> unsupported as soon as 10.7 comes out.
>
> Tiger is *already* unsupported as per the project-wide policy of
> supporting the two latest release of OS X. Individual maintainers
> are of
> course free to support whatever OS releases they like, modulo what
> base
> works on.

oh, only 2 release of OS X, so bad :-(

i use to buy the cheapest macbook with the extended guarantee but no
other option, and i try to keep it as long as possible (the last one
run nearly 5 years)
and i use to not upgrade anything, neither hardware nor software

on top of that, the last time i was unlucky, because my old computer
broke down 2 months before 10.5 come out,
so now my extended guarantee is still running while my OS is no
longer supported :-(

(i just call apple to ask about 10.6, and they told me that i'd have
to buy RAM)

> You're right that we won't deliberately break base on older OS
> versions,
> but OTOH the only reason there are Tiger dmgs for the current release
> series is that blb and I happen to have old machines lying around that
> run 10.4, and it's very little extra effort to run "sudo port dmg
> MacPorts" on one of them when doing a release. If making these
> available
> is giving the wrong impression I might just stop.

please don't :-)

i've understood that if sth doesn't work, i can ask friendly for help
but it's no longer supported

--
Téléassistance / Télémaintenance
http://www.portparallele.com/ThomasDECONTES/