failure of wxWidgets to build (as dependency for py26-wxpython)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 19 21:02:18 PST 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 22:58, Jim Busser wrote:

> On 2010-01-19, at 1:50 AM, Jim Busser wrote:
>
>> should try any or all of
>> 1) going back and uninstalling / reinstalling python26 *without* selecting +universal
>
> I did the above
>
> 	sudo port -d uninstall --follow-dependents python26
>
> followed by
>
> 	sudo port -d install python26 +darwin
>
>> 2) installing wxWidgets 2.8.9 selecting +nonmonolithic
>> 	not that I am creating anything in Xcode, but...  ...
>> 	http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Creating_Xcode_projects_for_wxWidgets_applications
>
> then tried
>
> 	sudo port -d install wxWidgets +darwin_10 +nonmonolithic

FYI you don't select platform variants like +darwin or +darwin_10 manually; MacPorts selects them for you automatically if they're necessary.

> but hit an error on account of requested variants not matching original selection... "port clean wxWidgets" was not enough to clear it, I had to do
>
> 	sudo port -d clean --all  wxWidgets

"clean" should have been enough. "clean --all" also removes the distfiles, but there is no reason to do so unless you get a checksum mismatch error.

> I then got, after retrying
>
> 	ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib, file is not of required architecture
>
> so...
> 	sudo port -d uninstall --follow-dependents zlib
> 	sudo port -d clean --all zlib
>
> then
>
> 	sudo port -d install zlib	# i.e. *not* specifying +universal
> 	sudo port -d install python26 +darwin
> 	sudo port -d install wxWidgets +darwin_10 +nonmonolithic
>
> but I *still* got
>
> 	ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib, file is not of required architecture
>
> and ending in the following. I am now really "stuck". How do I get the above to be of "required architecture" (I am using a 2+ year old MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo which does not support native 64-bit kernel).

64-bit kernel is irrelevant; so long as you have a Core 2 (and not a Core) processor, you support 64-bit programs, and Snow Leopards builds such by default.

Of what architecture is /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib? "lipo -info" tells you.

For what architecture are you now trying to build? Look at the "-arch" flags in the debug output.

There is apparently a mismatch between these two in your case.