New install, how should I set my macports.conf

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Jan 22 20:41:29 PST 2010

On Jan 22, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2010-1-23 11:59 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2010, at 18:20, Scott Haneda wrote:
>>> Why is "build_arch" commented out in the conf above?
>>
>> Who knows. When a value in macports.conf is commented, the default is used. As explained above that comment, the default build_arch is x86_64 on Snow Leopard on machines like yours that support it.
>>
>> In MacPorts 1.9 this line will no longer ship commented out; it'll ship enabled and set to the default value for your system. This change was already made in trunk awhile ago.
>
> What? It ships commented out, even in trunk, because the default cannot
> be determined at the time we build the (universal) package.

Take a look at line number 62
http://pastie.org/790844

Last night, some of the Bonjour machines on my LAN just dropped from the Mac OS X Sidebar.  I could still get to them from afp://machinf-ip-address but that was it. It would then show up in the sidebar and other network locations.  The amusing part was it had the PC icon, blue screen, rather than the Mac icon I am used to.

Small trivial issue, but I connect to many machines on the LAN often.  Nothing I could do would restore it to normal behavior. It takes a lot more clicks to get to non listed machines, assuming I even remember the name, let alone the IP.

I clean installed 10.6, a reformat clean install.  I went to Macports.org, downloaded the Snow Leopard installer, and also installed the latest developer tools and system updates.

`sudo port selfupdate` was next ran.

Aside from moving around the .profile code that MacPorts puts in place for me to better suit my needs, I have done nothing to ports, which is what inspired this thread.  I need to get MAMP up and running pretty quick, and am looking to find the best way to do so.  Not how to do MAMP, but the best way to configure the MacPorts .conf files.

Here is where I am at:
$port installed
No ports are installed.

I should remove the comment of "build_arch" I take it?