Django

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 00:23:52 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com>
wrote:

>> Do what Daniel suggested in the beginning of this thread.
>> First, test with the full path, so run:
>>
>> /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py
startproject
>> on the command line.
>

> OK, I did (And read some more about $PATH):
>
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$
/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py
> -bash: /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py:
Permission denied
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$ sudo
/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py
> sudo: /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py:
command not found

>> If that works,
>
> No, it did not unfortunately. So I guess there are other issues..
>

>> then add the django bin to your path, which is probably in one of the do
files in ~
>> Try this:
>> $cd ~
>> $grep PATH ~/.profile
>

> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$ grep PATH ~/.profile
> # MacPorts Installer addition on 2009-10-20_at_13:11:20: adding an
appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
> export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
> # Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.
>

>>  Also try other files that start with a dot, like .bashrc
>
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$ grep PATH ~/.bashrc
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$ cat  ~/.bashrc
> alias mysqlstart='sudo /opt/local/bin/mysqld_safe5'
> alias mysqlstop='/opt/local/bin/mysqladmin5 -u root -p shutdown'
>

>> and .bash_profile
>
> Not found
>

>>  Find out which one shows the PATH of

 PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

>>  Edit that file, and add a colon and then the path to the Django bin (all
one line)

 PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

>> If the long full path command does not work, altering your PATH is not
going to help you, and you will first need to fix that problem, then come
back, and add the path to it.

> Yes that is what I will have to do.
>>
>> Please reply all so the list gets the message, not just directly to the
sender.

> Yes I will. Normally do so, but forgot to last night...
>>
>> * On a side note, could one just symblink
/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin to /opt/local/bin and save
the hassle of an increasingly long PATH?  I have added apache's bin to mine,
and a few others.  I am not sure how I feel about the symblinking, but
wanted to know if it wold work.

> Well symlink as in:
>
> A symbolic link path2 is created to path1 (path2 is the name of the file
created, path1 is the string
>      used in creating the symbolic link).  Either name may be an arbitrary
path name; the files need not be
>      on the same file system.
>
> would be good but the real path does not seem to work either:
>
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$ sudo
/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py
> Password:
> sudo: /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py:
command not found
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$ sudo cd
/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$ ls
> ABC            Downloads        Pictures        TextMate-Projects
> Apartment-One        Library            Public            Webbills
> Desktop            Movies            Sites            Webdesign
> Documents        Music            Storage            www.kinkfm.com
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$ cd
/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:bin jasper$ ls
> __init__.py        daily_cleanup.py    make-messages.py
unique-messages.pyc
> __init__.pyc        daily_cleanup.pyc    make-messages.pyc
> compile-messages.py    django-admin.py        profiling
> compile-messages.pyc    django-admin.pyc    unique-messages.py
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:bin jasper$ django-admin.py
> -bash: django-admin.py: command not found

I think there is a problem with Python or the link between Python and
Django. I am reading this:
http://solutions.treypiepmeier.com/2008/02/26/installing-django-on-os-x-leopard/and
hope it will help me with Django on Snow Leopard using Mac Ports as
well.. I am not certain if I want to do this:

Find out if you’re using the right version of Python:

which python

Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:usr jasper$ which python
/opt/local/bin/python

If you don’t see:

/usr/bin/python

then delete whatever version you have sitting in your path, such as one in
/usr/local/:

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/python

And whether it will do any good though..