New install, how should I set my macports.conf

Jim Busser jbusser at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat Jan 23 09:04:26 PST 2010

On 2010-01-23, at 1:43 AM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> If there is any way to simplify it down for a more common user to understand, I think that may be helpful.

how about two changes (at * suggest ... **)

Original guide 3.2. Port Variants

Variants are a way for port authors to provide options for a port that may be chosen during the port install. To display the available variants, if any, use this command:
<snip>
Note:
Variant descriptions are optional, so you may not see descriptions for all variants.

** suggest alter & add to the Note: **

As variant descriptions are optional, you may not see descriptions in all cases. Two more variant kinds may be listed. A variant may be "universal" if the  port's methods may allow the same install to run under more than one architecture. A "platform" variant denotes steps that will run under a particular platform, say "darwin_10" as meaning OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, automatically.

3.2.1. Invoking Variants

A variant can only be invoked when a port is installed. After you have determined what variants a given port has, if any, you may install a port using the variant as shown.

%% port install fetchmail +ssl
Port variant execution may be verified using the port command with the verbose switch.

%% port -v install fetchmail +ssl
When a port is installed using a valid variant and specified correctly, the verbose output will contain:

DEBUG: Executing variant ssl provides ssl

** suggest add: **

NOTE: Whereas "universal" variants can also be chosen (when not configured in MacPort settings to be auto-applied, when possible), the "platform" variant needs no selection, being automatic.