New install, how should I set my macports.conf

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 23 15:04:50 PST 2010

On Jan 23, 2010, at 16:49, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I advocated putting +universal in variants.conf on Snow Leopard and up. But then I tried it out myself and found too many ports that fail when built universal for x86_64/i386. Therefore I cannot advocate this change at this time. It would cause too much confusion for users.
>
> If Apache2, MySql5, php5 plus ahandful if common modules used fir local dev is my main goal.
>
> A few other ports like mtr, and some perl foo here and there, how do you feel life will be for me with +universal?

Go for it if you want. They seem to build universal for me.

> In the past you said you didnot advocate building with intention of sharing binaries across machines. Understood. That being the case, why bother with any of this, just default to +universal, if it fails, clean and -universal. Is that correct?

Why bother with any of what?

Yes, if a universal build fails, you should probably clean and try again non-universal. The inconvenience comes if you have +universal in your variants.conf, because if you then have to bypass a malfunctioning universal variant with -universal in order to install, you have to remember to do so every subsequent time you upgrade the port to a newer version, too.