Getting gcc4.4 to work with XCode

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 31 10:26:43 PST 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 12:16, Prokash Sinha wrote:

> I had !!, so yes, I also don't like the idea. While I don't know if it is possible to direct the paths to the new installation of app using Macports  from Xcode configuration, if it is not there then what is the use of these Macports? It seems like it is not well integrated with Xcode or any other framework.

I agree, it's not integrated into Xcode; to my knowledge, nobody has ever asked for it to be before. But to me, it seems like it's more the user's responsibility to configure their Xcode project to use a MacPorts-provided compiler, if that's what they want to do; I don't think it's the job of MacPorts, or the gcc44 port, to help you with this.

> Also there must be a way to build the gcc for two arch (i386, and ppc) and get an universal to field this - but yes I agree, it is a detour.

With the FSF gcc, you build separately for each architecture, then lipo the results together. You can also use this method with Apple's gcc.

> Finally, If I screwed up Xcode temporarily by overwriting the gcc binaries, the Xcode dmg should be smart enough to fix it

Yes, I agree with that. I still stand by my recommendation not to attempt to overwrite Apple-provided software.