What is a dependent?

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sun Jan 31 19:49:40 PST 2010

In order to do a bit of housecleaning, getting rid of old ports that I
am not really using, I thought I could run "port dependents active"
and deactivate the ports that come up with "has no dependents!" and
that I am otherwise not interested in.

But then I come up with oddities like the following:

; port dependents p5-pathtools
p5-pathtools has no dependents!

; port deps intltool
Full Name: intltool @0.40.6
Build Dependencies:   gnome-common
Library Dependencies: expat, perl5, p5-xml-parser, p5-getopt-long, p5-pathtools,
                      p5-scalar-list-utils

So intltool depends on p5-pathtools, but it is not among the
dependents of p5-pathtools.

Is my understanding of "dependent" wrong, or is there a bug lurking
here?

- Harald