Getting gcc4.4 to work with XCode

William B. Clodius wclodius at los-alamos.net
Sun Jan 31 20:50:10 PST 2010

I believe that the version of gcc that I have in /usr/local was from the High Performance Computing website a couple ;years ago, when, as often happens with me, I got distracted. The version in /alt/local has the appropriate date to be from the macport distribution, I suspect that it determined that /usr/local was not from macport and /alt/local was it's fallback in that case.

As I understand the different comments it is probably inadvisable to override the XCode gcc with the macport gcc. It is probably possible to compile an older version of gfortran and its libraries so that they work with the XCode gcc, but as the newest versions of gfortran are intended to work with the comparable version of gcc it is probably not advisable to try a new gfortran version with the XCode gcc. So it looks like i should use more standard tools, makefiles and perhaps cmake. For the moment I don't need a bleeding edge gcc, so I am going to wait until gcc 4.5 has been officially released before I play with that.

Thanks for the help.