Eliminating X dependency from python

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 17:28:13 PDT 2010

>> > http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#pydeps
>>
>> That hardly answers it, and yet does.
>>
>> Alright, then this question: Why isn't the gui an optional package?
>
> It is; as others have mentioned, the +no_tkinter variant will disable the tk
> stuff (which is where the X11 dependencies are originating).

>From the FAQ:
 Using variants is bad as that requires a complete rebuild of the port
in order to add a given module (like readline support); also,
dependencies can't specify variants currently (see ticket #126).

Using separate ports for these modules (like py-readline) avoids the
need to completely rebuild the base port, and can be used as a
dependency, but ends up having other issues.

Based on that, I'd expect python-26 to just be python, and python-26X
to be the gui components on top of that.

Instead, instead of the gui being an optional package, it is a variant
of the main component, and a default included instead of a default
optional.