gross error

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Thu Jul 8 17:40:04 PDT 2010

On 7/8/10 4:02 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:39 AM, John B Brown wrote:
>> 	I'll stop getting entangled with functional anomalies in MacPorts. Any UNIX/Linux utilities I want I'll modify for myself to work on my iMac. There's a /usr/local here for a purpose; that's where the gnu utilities go automatically.
>
> I'm not sure why you are having so many issues with this.  I believe in reading over your thread you have done a completely new install of your OS.  If that is the case, and you are having these issues, the only thing I can think of is you have corrupt installer discs, something is wrong with your hardware, or your process is flawed.  Perhaps you are migrating in an old data file of ~/.profile or ~/.bash* or something that is causing troubles.

	Perhaps you misunderstand; there is NO migration of anything. I use the
install discs that come with this computer. They replace the install
data only, not my personal data; that is still there where I put it.

> I once spent many days brining online a G5 Dual CPU server to have issues in which nothing was working right, no apps would build, lots of problems.  It turned out to be a bad CPU.  I popped in a new CPU, and all my troubles went away.

	I'd like very much to know how you managed that with Apple's warranty.
In fact, if there are diagnostics available for the current Intel Core 2
Duo CPU on this iMac I would run it in a heartbeat.

> If you are game, I would suggest the following, as MacPorts truly does make things easier, not harder:
>      1) Backup
>      2) Erase hard drive
>      3) Reinstall OS clean
>      4) Perform Apple Software Update, do not use the combo updaters
>         unless you verify MD5's on them and ensure you are using the correct one
>      5) Install Developer tools, just one package, with X11
>      6) Run Apple Software Update again
>      7) Install MacPorts
>      8) Run sudo port selfupdate
>      9) If everything now works, install a few simple ports to double check
>      10) Move your data back in place, testing along the way to make sure nothing breaks
>
> Far too many people are working with MacPorts in a perfectly reliably fashion aside from known issues.  Everyone at the least, has it installed, which is where your system seems to be having trouble.  I see no reason why that can't be accomplished on your system, unless there are hardware issues, software corruption, or silent data corruption problems.

	My current problems had better not have anything to do with MacPorts; I
wiped all that stuff I could find. My problem is with Adobe Flash new
dmg not running the graphics on Firefox.

	I know, not a MacPorts problem, except all these problems first arose
when I installed MacPorts for the first time. I have made a couple of
DVDs with my wanted data and am about to start the disc scrub.

	But if you can point me at some accurate hardware diagnostics I would
like that very much. Here's my numbers;
Hardware UUID:	57C6C486-5B2B-5CC5-BC10-594951CDE5E6

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068