Smartmontools and disk I/O error

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Jul 9 14:01:44 PDT 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

> Kleiman-ibook:Windows TM michael$ smartctl -o on disk0
> smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0] (local build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
>
> === START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
> Error SMART Enable Automatic Offline failed: Operation not supported
> Smartctl: SMART Enable Automatic Offline Failed.
>
> Kleiman-ibook:Windows TM michael$
>
> Alright, it looks like this drive has automatic offline "testing"
> (data collection), but it won't turn on.

For what it is worth, I have the exact same results as you, MacBook 1.83Ghz, 4GB memory.  When I have some more time this afternoon I will start reading the mac pages to learn how to properly use these tools.  This is so nice, no longer need I I run my hobbled command line checks where I fish out the smart status from diskutil.
--
Scott (* For off-list contact, replace talklists@ with scott@ *)