sqlite error: disk I/O error

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 14:09:03 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
>> First: Isn't that excessively early?
>
> There are lots of little things that can make a drive have errors - and for most drive manufacturers a certain number of errors is acceptable (especially since the drive can automatically remap bad sectors).
>
> If you're confident in your backups, you could just monitor the drive (make sure that the failure numbers aren't going up) and it might be fine (or take this opportunity to get larger/faster disk for your machine).
>
>> Second: How can I force a test read or write of those sectors?
>
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html
>
>> How can
>> I tell if they are allocated? (Normal HFS+, but multiple partitions.)
>
> I don't know of a tool that will do that (maybe hfsdebug can?). If you're not seeing IO errors otherwise, it's probably not in an allocated file. You could probably use dd to write to all of the empty space on each partition.

Kleiman-ibook:Windows TM michael$ hfsdebug
-bash: hfsdebug: command not found
Kleiman-ibook:Windows TM michael$
Kleiman-ibook:Windows TM michael$ port info hfsdebug
Error: Port hfsdebug not found
Kleiman-ibook:Windows TM michael$ port search hfsdebug
No match for hfsdebug found

Where do I find hfsdebug?