Disk I/O error and hfsdebug (was: Re: sqlite error:)

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 12:18:32 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
>> Second: How can I force a test read or write of those sectors?
>> (After finding out a bad sector LBA)
>
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html
>
>> How can
>> I tell if they are allocated? (Normal HFS+, but multiple partitions.)
>
> I don't know of a tool that will do that (maybe hfsdebug can?). If you're not seeing IO errors otherwise, it's probably not in an allocated file. You could probably use dd to write to all of the empty space on each partition.

I have looked over HFSDebug-lite 4.33, but I cannot find any way to
turn block numbers into file names. Am I missing that?

Also: What is a hot file?

$ sudo hfsdebug-lite -H -t 20

1         641025    2123376 Kleiman
HD:/Users/michael/Library/Application
Support/SyncServices/Local/data.version
2         249345    1222833 Kleiman
HD:/usr/share/locale/en_US.ISO8859-1/LC_NUMERIC
3         181135    1222831 Kleiman
HD:/usr/share/locale/en_US.ISO8859-1/LC_MESSAGES/LC_MESSAGES
4         138903    1222832 Kleiman
HD:/usr/share/locale/en_US.ISO8859-1/LC_MONETARY
5         129709     407796 Kleiman HD:/Users/leila/.CFUserTextEncoding

1-4 I can see as being busy files.
#5? That user hasn't logged in in over a year; the only place that
file could be being used is as an AFP/SMB mount point, but then I'd
expect to see everyone's .CFUserTextEncoding, and the others are not.