Launching gnome-terminal from Applications Menu

Jeff Gibson jsg72 at mac.com
Sat Jul 10 20:51:50 PDT 2010

Pardon what's probably a newbie question, but I haven't been able to find an answer in the archives.

I've built gnome-terminal (2.26.3.1).  If I launch it from an xterm or even from Terminal (whether or not X11 is already running), everything works fine.  If I try putting it in the Applications menu of X11, though, I can't get it to run.  I've tried specifying the full path in the menu option, and that wasn't any better.

When I say it doesn't work, there is no visible failure; the window just doesn't appear.  I found a crash log for it, though - see the attachment.  I've actually tried the same thing with rxvt, and I get the same result, only it doesn't create a crash log, so I have even less to go on.

My setup is:

	I'm running OS10.6.3.  My only departure from the standard init files is:

~/launchd.conf:
launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist

~/.profile:
source ~/.bashrc

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2010-03-15_at_21:47:26: adding an appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

There's nothing interesting in .bashrc, and I don't have any other init files beyond what came with MacOS.

I appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.