Disk I/O error and hfsdebug (was: Re: sqlite error:)

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 14:58:02 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM, John Musbach <johnmusbach1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why was this cross posted? Relevence to mac os x?

I'm sorry. On the macports mailing list, an issue came up where a
problem turned out to be a bad hard drive. Someone pointed out that
there were SMART monitoring tools in the macports database. Checking
them on my system revealed that I also had a failing drive.

There is a "HowTo" for BSD systems that includes the use of file
system debuggers for BSD systems to identify which file contains the
bad blocks. But there doesn't seem to be an obvious tool for HFS
systems to find which file contains the bad blocks.

So, I'm asking on the Mac Os X list, and I'm asking two questions:
1. Is there a tool to determine which file owns which block?, and
2. For HFS+ file systems, what is a hot file? How can the list of hot
files be reset?

Since these are HFS+ questions, and that's a Mac Os X issue, I thought
it was appropriate for this list.