RFP: AppleJack from Kristofer Widholm (GNU GPL licensed)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 17 13:02:39 PDT 2010

On Jul 16, 2010, at 12:18, Scott C. Kennedy wrote:

> But, would this not conflict with the layout of the ports-file system? As in you'd get this error every time you installed or updated.
> Warning: violation by /var/root/.profile
> Warning: violation by /var/root/Library/Scripts/applejack.sh
> Warning: applejack violates the layout of the ports-filesystems!
> Warning: Please fix or indicate this misbehavior (if it is intended), it will be an error in future releases!
>
> And eventually, as alluded to in the warning, this port would break?

It doesn't say it will break, it says it will be an error (rather than a warning) in future releases. Whether that will actually happen or whether that was just wishful thinking on the part of the developer who inserted that message remains to be seen.

In any case, if a port violates the mtree, it should so indicate by using "destroot.violate_mtree yes" and the message displayed will then be much less severe. We have lots of ports that violate the mtree; we have no plans to remove support for that.