xorg-server, launchd, and DISPLAY

Michael Fitzgerald astrofitz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 10:42:57 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of setting up a new 10.6 mac, and have elected to install the MacPorts xorg-server.  I am having trouble with the setting of the DISPLAY variable in non-X11 applications (e.g. Terminal, konsole).

I have disabled the setting of DISPLAY by Apple's X11 with the following command, per the Apple X11-Users list FAQ,
	launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.startx.plist
In a naive attempt to have launchd set DISPLAY to a socket for the macports server, I ran the following,
	launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist
After cycling a logout/login, Terminal still reports that the DISPLAY environment variable is not set (I am expecting it to be set to something like /tmp/launch-foo/...).

Various combinations of logout/login cycle, rebooting, and executing the above commands with sudo have not helped.

I have seen this thread but it is unclear to me if there is a remedy:
	http://old.nabble.com/launchd-and-multiple-x11.apps-td22222698.html

Is there something I'm missing?  I appreciate in advance any advice!

Thank you,
Mike